FERN’s Ag Insider Internship
The Food & Environment Reporting Network is looking for an intern to work alongside veteran agriculture reporter Chuck Abbott on its Ag Insider newsletter. Ag Insider is a highly respected daily mix of aggregation, original reporting and analysis on major political, policy, and cultural stories about food and agriculture.
The Washington, DC-based job primarily involves handling the aggregation of stories from publications around the country, and distilling them into punchy, straight news items. There also will be opportunities to write an occasional original piece for the newsletter.
It’s a great chance to learn from one of the nation’s foremost journalists on U.S. food and agriculture policy. Chuck was a long-time Reuters commodities correspondent in Washington after a stint as national farm editor for United Press International.
This is a paid internship ($11 an hour) that requires daily work, up to 20 hours a week.
If you’re interested, contact Brent Cunningham, FERN’s managing editor, at email@example.com.
FERN is the first and only independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization that produces investigative and explanatory reporting on food, agriculture, and environmental health through publication partnerships with respected regional and national media outlets.
- Daily aggregation and summary of 4-5 stories for Ag Insider newsletter
- Upload content into WordPress
- Read widely in both mainstream publications and industry-specific journals and other outlets
- Assist the Ag Insider team as it follows and reports on developments in food and agriculture policy
- Consult daily with Chuck and/or other FERN editors about aggregation choices
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a junior or senior in an undergraduate program, or enrolled in a graduate program by the start date of your internship (at least 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework completed).
- Students majoring in Communications, Journalism, Food Studies, Political Science or other relevant degree preferred
- Strong organizational and writing skills
- Self-starters only. FERN is an entirely virtual operation, so the intern must be able to work independently and meet deadlines without constant hand-holding
- Familiarity with content management systems (e.g. WordPress) and newsletter software (e.g. MailChimp) is preferred but not required.
- Willing to support all members of the team as required.
- Knowledge of food system policies and politics helpful, but not required.