Effective as of: March 1, 2020
Welcome to the www.thefern.org website (the “Site”). The Site is operated by Food & Environment Reporting Network Inc. (“FERN”).
2. Use of Content
The FERN Site is only for your personal use. You may not use the Site for commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful, or harms us or any other person or entity.
All information, materials, functions and other content (including Submissions, as defined in Section 3 below) (“Content”) contained on the Site are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees. All trademarks, slogans, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are proprietary to us and/or our licensors or licensees. We may change the Site or delete Content or features at any time, in any way, for any reason.
Except as we specifically agree in writing, no Content from the Site may be used, reproduced, transmitted, distributed or otherwise exploited in any way other than as part of the Site, not even as part of a derivative work, except that where the Site is configured to enable the download of particular Content, you may download one copy of such Content to a single computer for your personal, noncommercial home use only, provided that you (a) keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices, (b) make no modifications to, and do not rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute, copy (except to create a single copy for your own back-up purposes), or create any derivative works based on the Site or the Content, in whole or in part, and (c) do not use the Content in an unlawful manner or in a manner that suggests an association with any of our products, services or brands. Any business use, “re-mailing” or high-volume or automated use of the Site is prohibited.
You hereby grant us and our licensees, distributors, agents, representatives and other authorized users, a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable (in whole or part) worldwide license for an indeterminate period (or for such maximum period permitted by applicable law) under all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual and industrial property rights you own or control to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit, distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works based upon, perform and otherwise exploit such Submissions, in whole or in part, in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised, for purposes of operating the Site, all without further notice to you and without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any other person or entity (the “Submissions License”).
You agree that any Submissions you make are not being made in confidence or trust and that no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created between you and us in any way, and that you have no expectation of any review, compensation or consideration of any type.
- You will receive up to 8 messages per month.
- You may unsubscribe at any time by texting the word to STOP to (866) 551-0955. You may receive a subsequent message confirming your opt-out request.
- For help, send the word HELP to (866) 551-0955.
- Message and data rates may apply.
- United States participating carriers include AT&T, T-Mobile®, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Boost, U.S. Cellular®, MetroPCS®, InterOp, Cellcom, C Spire Wireless, Cricket, Virgin Mobile and others.
- T-Mobile is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
- You agree to notify us of any changes to your mobile number and update your account with us to reflect this change.
- Data obtained from you in connection with this SMS service may include your cell phone, your carrier’s name, and the date, time and content of your messages, as well as other information that you provide. We may use this information to contact you and provide the services you request from us.
- By subscribing or otherwise using the service, you acknowledge and agree that we will have the right to change and/or terminate the service at any time, with or without cause and/org advance notice.
Though Food & Environment Reporting Network, Inc. will never charge you for the text messages you receive, depending on your phone plan, you may see some charges from your mobile provider. Please reach out to your wireless provider if you have any questions about your text or data plan.
6. Public Forums and Communication
“Public Forum” means an area, site or feature offered as part of the Site that offers the opportunity for users to Distribute Submissions for viewing by one or more the Site users, including a chat area, message board or social community environment.
You acknowledge that Public Forums and features offered therein are for public and not private communications, and you have no expectation of privacy with regard to any Submission to a Public Forum. We cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose through any of these media; you make such disclosures at your own risk.
Subject to applicable law, you are and shall remain solely responsible for the Submissions you Distribute on or through the Site under your username or otherwise by you in any Public Forum and for the consequences of submitting and posting same.
Also, you should be skeptical about information provided by others, and you acknowledge that the use of any Submission posted in any Public Forum is at your own risk. For example, we are not responsible for, and we do not endorse, the opinions, advice or recommendations posted or sent by users in any Public Forum and we specifically disclaim any and all liability in connection therewith.
We owe you no obligation, and therefore may refuse, to post, deliver, remove, modify or otherwise use or take any action with respect to Submissions you Distribute.
We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit Submissions at any time and for any or no reason including, without limitation, if your Submission fails to conform to the Rules of Conduct, in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice. If we elect to screen Submissions, there may be a delay in the posting of such content in a Public Forum to allow for a review process. If we have questions about your Submissions including, without limitation, the copyright, we may contact you for further information including, for example, to verify that you own the copyright or otherwise obtained permission to post the material.
7. RULES OF CONDUCT
The following Rules of Conduct apply to the FERN site. By using the Site, you agree that you will not Distribute any Submission that:
- (a) is defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, or an invasion of a right of privacy of another person; (b) is bigoted, hateful, or racially or otherwise offensive; (c) is violent, vulgar, obscene, pornographic or otherwise sexually explicit; or (d) otherwise harms or can reasonably be expected to harm any person or entity;
- is illegal or encourages or advocates illegal activity or the discussion of illegal activities with the intent to commit them, including a Submission that is, or represents an attempt to engage in, child pornography, stalking, sexual assault, fraud, trafficking in obscene or stolen material, drug dealing and/or drug abuse, harassment, theft, or conspiracy to commit any criminal activity;
- infringes or violates any right of a third party including: (a) copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary or contractual rights; (b) right of privacy (specifically, you must not distribute another person’s personal information of any kind without their express permission) or publicity; or (c) any confidentiality obligation;
- is commercial, business-related or advertises or offers to sell any products, services or otherwise (whether or not for profit), or solicits others (including solicitations for contributions or donations);
- contains a virus or other harmful component, or otherwise tampers with, impairs or damages the Site or any connected network, or otherwise interferes with any person or entity’s use or enjoyment of the Site.
8. Cooperation; Removal of Submissions
9. Suspension and Cancellation of Membership
SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, THE CONTENT ON OR OTHERWISE RELATED IN ANY WAY TO THE FERN SITE OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES OR SERVICES LINKED TO FROM THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT CONDITIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL CONDITIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, AVAILABILITY, SECURITY, COMPATABILITY AND NONINFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT ANY CONTENT WILL BE ERROR-FREE, THAT ACCESS THERETO WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE SUCH CONTENT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
YOU HEREBY IRREVOCABLY WAIVE ANY CLAIM AGAINST US WITH RESPECT ANY CONTENT ON THE SITE AND ANY CONTENT YOU PROVIDE TO THIRD PARTY SITES, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. PLEASE NOTE, HOWEVER, THAT THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS AS A CONSUMER, IN PARTICULAR THE LEGAL WARRANTY FOR LATENT DEFECTS FOR USERS WHO ACCESS THE SITE IN CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS.
The Site may contain the opinions and views of other users. Given the interactive nature of the Site, we cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy, or veracity of any content generated by our users.
12. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, WE DO NOT LIMIT IN ANY WAY OUR LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY OUR NEGLIGENCE OR FOR OUR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION OR CONCEALMENT OR FOR ANY OTHER LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAWS.
SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, SHALL WE OR OUR OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, LICENSORS, LICENSEES, DISTRIBUTORS, AGENTS OR REPRESENTATIVES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, PERSONAL INJURY (INCLUDING DEATH) AND PROPERTY DAMAGE OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, THAT RESULT FROM (A) THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE OR CONTENT, OR (B) THE CONDUCT OR ACTIONS, WHETHER ONLINE OR OFFLINE, OF ANY USER OF THE SITE OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL OUR TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED $100 FOR ACCESSING OR PARTICIPATING IN ANY ACTIVITY RELATED TO THE SITE OR THE CONTENT THEREON.
13. Governing Law and Venue
You must observe all security features on the Site and may not disable or bypass any security devices. You must hold your password(s) in confidence and not permit anyone to use your account. Because access permissions to an extranet may vary among individual users, passwords must not be shared. You may not use the Site to gain unauthorized access to computers or other computer networks; for malicious or destructive purposes (such as the development or transmission or computer viruses); or to publish, access or transmit obscene or pornographic material. You are responsible for all usage or activity on your account, whether or not authorized by you.
16. Certain Reserved Rights
We reserve the right in our sole discretion: to monitor, review and use all communications and other use of the Site, together with information relating to such communications and use, such as identification of sources and recipients of information, usage frequency and content of transmissions, to change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the Site at any time, including the availability of any feature or content, and to impose limits on certain features and services or restrict access to parts or all of the Site without notice or liability.
17. Third Party Content
Third party content may appear on the Site or may be accessible via links from the Site. We are not responsible for and assume no liability for any third party content. You understand that the information and opinions in the third party content represent solely the thoughts of the author and is neither endorsed by nor does it necessarily reflect our belief.
18. Unlawful Activity
We reserve the right to investigate complaints or reported violations of this Agreement and to take any action we deem appropriate, including but not limited to reporting any suspected unlawful activity to law enforcement officials, regulators, or other third parties and disclosing any information necessary or appropriate to such persons or entities relating to your profile, e-mail addresses, usage history, IP addresses and traffic information.
19. Links to other Web Sites
The Site contains links to other Web sites. We are not responsible for the content, accuracy or opinions express in such Web sites, and such Web sites are not investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy or completeness by us. Inclusion of any linked Web site on our Site does not imply approval or endorsement of the linked Web site by us. If you decide to leave our Site and access these third-party sites, you do so at your own risk.
20. General Provisions
21. Claims of Copyright Infringement
Notifications of claimed copyright infringement must be sent to our Designated Agent:
Food and Environment Reporting Network, Inc.
Attn: Tom Laskawy
576 Fifth Ave., Ste. 903
New York NY 10036
E-Mail Address of Designated Agent: email@example.com
To be effective, the notification must be a written communication that includes the following:
- A physical or electronic signature of person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good-faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.